Unnamed sources instructed Bloomberg that the White Home will host a gathering between President Joe Biden and among the nation’s largest tech corporations on Wednesday afternoon. In keeping with these sources, the CEOs of Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple have confirmed their attendance. Different giant corporations, together with Google, IBM, Southern Firm, and JP Morgan, have been invited.
The assembly is meant to deal with the extreme enhance in ransomware, on-line assaults, and information leaks seen this 12 months. Though we do not know the precise agenda, one senior official acquainted with the occasion stated discussions of higher provide chain safety are seemingly, and there’ll in all probability be a deal with software-driven options.
Excessive-profile safety breaches Biden and the tech CEOs would possibly talk about embrace, however will not be restricted to:
- This month’s T-Cellular server breach, which uncovered as much as 100 million Individuals’ private information
- July’s SolarWinds provide chain assault, which compromised server administration instruments themselves
- July’s large Kaseya ransomware assault—which additionally initially focused a administration device quite than the end-victims themselves
- A months-long Geico breach exposing clients’ driver’s license numbers, addresses, dates of beginning, and many others.
- A misconfigured Experian API that leaked credit score scores of tens of tens of millions of Individuals
- A Could assault that took Colonial Pipeline down, disrupting gas distribution throughout the japanese US seaboard
- March assaults focusing on small companies, cities, cities, and native governments by way of Microsoft Alternate vulnerabilities
- SIM swapping assaults on T-Cellular clients in February, ensuing from a number of of the corporate’s earlier breaches
Bloomberg’s sources solely talked about CEOs, so it is unclear if the CISOs of the invited corporations are collaborating as properly.
Neither the White Home nor any of the businesses talked about have responded to press requests for remark.